I just installed Quest’s latest version of their free AD cmdlets. After installing, I wanted to see what new cmdlets have been provided. The first thing I noticed in looking for the updated cmdlets was that you can no longer use Get-QADCommand to see the Quest Commands, that has been replaced with Get-QCommand. Looks like there are 9 new cmdlets:
- Add-QADMemberOf – I see this one getting some use! Allows you to add a single object to one or many groups.
- Approve-QARSApprovalTask – An ActiveRoles Server cmdlet. Looks like a workflow approval cmdlet
- Get-QADMemberOf – This will be handy for auditing purposes! This cmdlet allows you to retrieve the groups that an object belongs to.
- Get-QADPasswordSettingsObjectAppliesTo – This new cmdlet is specific to Windows Server 2008 Active Directory. Allows you to retrieve groups affected by a particular password settings object.
- Get-QARSApprovalTask – Another ActiveRoles Server cmdlet. You can use this one to grab approval task records.
- Get-QARSOperation - Another ActiveRoles Server cmdlet. Used to retrieve the operations records.
- Reject-QARSApprovalTask – Like the Approve-QARSApprovalTask accept this one is used to reject the workflow task.
- Remove-QADMemberOf – The opposite of Add-QADMemberOf. Use the cmdlet to remove an object from one or more groups. This one will get some use in our environment!
- Restore-QADDeletedObject – Wish we had this one a few months ago! This cmdlet will allow you to undelete objects in AD by restoring tombstones into normal objects. An example from the help file demonstrates the power of this cmdlet:
Get-QADUser -Tombstone -LastKnownParent '<DN of container>' -Name 'John Smith*' Restore-QADDeletedObject
Nice collection of new functionality!
When looking at the example in the help on Restore-QADDeletedObject, I saw the parameter –Tombstone used with Get-QADUser. Further investigation yields that Quest has added quite a few parameters to various QAD cmdlets.
This is a list of new parameters from the documentation supplied with the new version:
|Parameters||Cmdlet added to|
Can’t wait to dive in a bit more and use the newest version.